1. List: specific moments you recall about your life place. Firsts, surprises, powerful emotions, images that stick, memories you cannot shake.
2. Choose one moment that may be important to your essay (a turning point, "aha!" moment). Name the moment and write at the top of a page/section.
3. Fastwrite: Write in the present tense and first person. Put yourself back in the moment. Stay there, don't wander off. Describe what you sense and feel. How does "sunny day" or "freezing cold" feel in your body? How does "happy" or "scared" or "angry" feel in your body?
Try starting with, "I am walking/running/sitting etc..." or “I'm eleven and it's a warm summer day and..." or “It’s a snowy night in Missoula and…”
Fastwrite: Reflect on Experience
1. Interpret what happened. Why did things happen in this way? How might context, the bigger picture, matter?
2. Evaluate and reflect. Why is this significant to my life? What is the bigger meaning ? What questions does this raise, leave unanswered?
3. How might this change how I want to live in the future? What do I want to remember? What do I want to do again? What do I want to do differently?
Workshop Groups Redux
LPE Workshop Post-write
1. What was most surprising about reading peer LPEs today? How might it help you in revision?
2. How did workshop go today? What went well in the process? What could be improved next time?
3. How are you planning to revise as a result of this workshop?
Pair up with a neighbor. Introduce yourselves, then take turns interviewing each other. Use the worksheet:
Flip the page over and fill in the blanks.
Introduce your partner to the class.
This is (1)_______________________,
Daughter/son of (2)_______________________________
Lover of (3)___________________________, _______________________________, and _________________________
Hater of (4)____________________________
Who has tasted (5)___________________________________________, particularly (6)___________________________________
And who wishes for (7)____________________________________________________
Who fears (8)_______________________________________ and ______________________________________
Born in (9)______________________________________________
S/he knows s/he’s in Missoula when (10)______________________________________________
This is (1) (11)________________________________________