1. Read and annotate: Chapter 13 (Analyzing an Argument), then chapter 7 (Arguing a Position)
2. Invention: after reading the chapters:
- Refer to assignment sheet and use your PAE lists and today’s invention
- List 6 possible topics and research questions for your Op-Ed. Leave white space between each set. Bring two copies to class.
- If nothing seems interesting, use invention techniques from pg. 26 of EAA to generate ideas
- Refer to EAA pp. 334-335 re. good research questions
3. Blog: see my detailed instructions on the blog.
For Thurs., March 6
1. Read and annotate: Long Live Paper editorial by Justin Hollander (Sample Op-Eds packet, Sample 7, pg. 7) Bring this to class.
2. Analyze (Type up as a separate piece of homework to turn in)
a. Who’s arguing? From where? What’s at Stake? What’s the Claim?
b. What appeals do you notice?
c. How about logical fallacies?
d. How might this essay serve as an example op-ed assignment for this class?